Manager of Event Services
Department: Marketing & Events
Reports To: Departmental Director/General Manager
FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
Summary: The Manager of Event Services assures the successful implementation of all activities required to make each visit by fans and clients successful and positive experiences. This position provides professional client services in the planning, organization and management of public, private, community and professional organization events within the facility. In addition, the Manager of Events Services supervises the hiring, training, scheduling and staffing for these events, on-site management of event staff and liaises with and oversees necessary personnel to assure SMG security protocols are in place for the safety of our fans and the venue. This position is responsible for implementation of all event related tasks from client contact, costing, quoting, booking, contracting, scheduling and day of event set-up through to event settlement and the successful conclusion of each event. Also, the Manager of Event Services seeks to broaden the events presented through community outreach and internal event development activities.
This is accomplished by performing personally or through subordinates the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Meets with client groups to plan and organize concerts, hockey games, sporting events, family shows, special events, theatrical presentations, entertainment events, meetings, charitable events, community gatherings and/or galas.
- Guides event promoters in preparation of events by interpreting and explaining contract provisions, policies and procedures.
- Handles event advance, planning and booking of necessary services and personnel, on-site event move-in/move-out
- Coordinates and runs event client planning meetings, site inspections, production meetings and post-event reviews with staff and clients as appropriate
- Prepares or assists in preparing the event contract and works with promoter to assure that contract and all necessary paperwork is received prior to event
- Hires, train, schedules and manages event staff for guest services and venue security functions
- Coordinates, books and manages activities with the various service contractors for all events.
- Prepares cost estimates, provides accurate expenses for day of show accounting, and monitors final billing.
- Prepares event contracts and manages administration including insurance requirements
- Keeps clients informed as to status of deadline schedules, including but not limited to floor plan submissions, meeting room set-up specifications, insurance requirements and other relevant details.
- Provides clear, concise, and timely communication of detailed requirements to operational departments. Assists in scheduling operational set-ups to provide equipment or services needs. Monitors and supervises facility set-up when necessary.
- Supervises guest services, event and security staff and oversees all aspects of facility operations related to events.
- Serves as primary liaison between clients and facility departments.
- Oversees City of Kingston Ice booking schedule with relation to event availability and operational requirements in coordination with City of Kingston Employees.
- Devises and conducts training according to SMG SEMP guidelines for security compliance.
- Monitors in-house events, maintaining close contact with clients and facility staff to ensure successful events. Follows-up on all client requests, concerns, and problems.
- Attends appropriate planning, organization and other event and facility meetings in support of facility operations.
- Serves as manager on duty for events as required
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources policies; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Relevant University degree or College diploma, at least 8 years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Working knowledge of the principles of facility management, services and equipment for a similar facility
- Exceptional client service skills and extensive customer service experience
- Ability to implement within budget and manage change
- Excellent organizational, planning and interpersonal skills
- Coordinate event logistics including ordering, delivery, set-up and return of outside resources in order to produce events
- Adept at event design, run of show, cost estimating, staffing, catering, a/v, merchandising, security, etc.
- Advance, observe and appropriately handle any perceived security issue.
- Create and monitor event budgets. Conduct post-event operational and financial analysis.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict deadlines
- Calmly and rationally manage fan and event security issues
- Demonstrate problem-solving and communication skills
- Supervisory experience
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic
- Ability to work under limited supervision and to interact with all levels of staff including upper management
- Ability to work long and irregular hours that may vary due to functions and may include day, evening, weekends and holidays
- Ability to continually research and generate new ideas for additional event bookings
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration and may be sent to:
Attention: Manager of Event Services
Email: email@example.com (preferred)
Fax: #: 613-650-5001
SMG Canada is an Equal Opportunity employer.