Director of Operations
POSITION: Director of Operations
REPORTS TO: General Manager and Assistant General Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISES: Operations Manager, Operations Assistant Manager and Supervisors
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an immediate opening for Director of Operations at Leon’s Centre in Kingston, Ontario Canada. The Director of Operations will be responsible for the daily activities required to run, maintain and service the facility. They will also coordinate personnel, subcontractors involved in the successful execution of events by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: (other duties may be assigned)
- Oversee all aspects of operations either directly or indirectly including subordinate managers and employees, operations crew, changeover crew, housekeeping, ADA compliance, venue safety and security, and work cooperatively with all providers to assure facility readiness and smooth operation of events
- Develop, monitor and maintain operating procedures that conform to corporate standards and client laws, customized to the specific needs of the facility and consistent with the goals and objectives of the client, facility and corporation
- Attend weekly staff meetings. Develop and maintain a harmonious working relationship with all of the other departments
- Provides clear, concise and timely communication of directives to other departments
- Ensures that Operations Department receives pertinent information for the most effective use of the facility and staffing
- Oversees maintenance of the physical plant, systems, equipment and vehicles
- Prepare the annual operating budget and create/update an annual capital budget for long-range repairs and improvements to the facility. Authorize the requisition of equipment and supplies within budget guidelines.
- Assist in implementation of capital projects through determination of scope of work, preparation of RFQ/RFP, coordination of estimates, awarding of work and efficient installation
- Manage departmental budget with a focus on cost containment, utility savings and reduction of carbon footprint
- Know and guarantee all laws, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules/regulations and emergency procedures are followed. Develop program to train all employees on fire/life safety and emergency procedures. Maintain corporate documentation and annual sign-offs
- Provides yearly inventory of all equipment
- Investigate, analyze and resolve operational problems and complaints. Conduct regular staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems, and policy changes
- Assist in the preparation and negotiation of service agreements for housekeeping services, IT services, maintenance agreements, project commissioning and other operations agreements as needed. Review contracts for compliance with event and/or government specifications and suitability for occupancy
- Rotate with other facility personnel to function as Manager on Duty (MOD), who maintains total responsibility and authority over all clients, staff personnel, patrons, security and safety in assigned buildings. Responsibilities include but not limited to making sure contractual agreements are met and clients’ event requirements and changes have been made in a timely fashion. On-duty staff/subcontractors ultimately report to the MOD through any Managers or Supervisors who are present during the event
- Act as liaison between tenants and facility contractors as needed
- Plan, budget and schedule facility’s modifications including cost estimates, bid sheets, layouts and contracts for construction and conversions
- Inspect conversions, construction and installation progress to ensure conformance to established specifications
- Develop and implement maintenance schedules, emergency procedures, and safety and risk management policies
- Ensure facility’s fire and emergency safety systems are in operating order and compliant with all codes, ordinances and laws
- Develops program to train all employees on Fire/Life Safety, Emergency and OSHA Procedures
- Reviews contracts for compliance with events and /or government specifications and suitability for occupancy
- Negotiates with vendors, unions, contractors and/or service providers
- Acts as liaison to public utility, environmental, and energy agencies
- Identifies opportunities and assists GM in implementation of any energy saving guidelines
- Coordinates and oversees special projects, such as construction, remodeling or expansion. Plans and directs outside vendors/contractors work to assure compliance with contracts and safety requirements
- Manage subordinate supervisors who oversee employees in various functions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Other duties as assigned
Directly supervises one or more building service worker(s) and third party service providers, Operation Manager, Assistant Operations Manager & Supervisors. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG’s policies and applicable laws. Oversees building system requirements as it pertains to the presentation of events. Additional supervisory esponsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; complete appraisal performance; rewarding: disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The successful candidate must currently be authorized to work in Canada
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree from accredited four-year college or university
- Two (2) to five (5) years related experience and/or training in the public assembly industry in a supervisory or management position; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Minimum knowledge, skills, abilities and related experience required to this job:
- Demonstrate knowledge in operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at the facility.
- Demonstrate knowledge in the operation of central plants, building automation, and fire alarm panels.
- Possess skills and experience in contract negotiations, business law, budget preparation, purchasing procedures and supervising/training personnel.
- Engage in decision making that is generally governed by procedure and guided by policy.
- Possess any licenses, certificates or training required by local, state or national authorities for the operation of the equipment found in the facility.
- Read and comprehend blueprints, drawings and other related materials.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Meet the physical demands of this job, which include being able to get in and around the facility (requires personal mobility), lifting, carrying, moving, climbing, working from various heights, and moderate to loud noises.
- Operate equipment such as light trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts, boom lifts, Zamboni machine, scrubbing machines or other light power driven equipment.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Requires ability to work extended and flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hours.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in Canada.
- Possess any licenses, certificates or training required by local, provincial or national authorities for the operation of the equipment found in the facility, in particular electrical, plumbing, heating and air-conditioning.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Manual dexterity – Regularly required to use hands, to finger, handle or feel.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl to access operational systems.
- May spend long hours in walking or standing.
- Heavy lifting up to 50lbs.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT – the working environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May be exposed to moderate to extreme noise.
- Exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- Exposed to high, precarious locations.
- Exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Operate a personal computer using Windows and Microsoft Office software.
- Operate standard office equipment including copier, printer and fax machine.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Please send a copy of your most recent resume and cover letter which includes salary requirements to:
Attn: Director of Operations Position
No phone calls, please.